Dementia affects 1 in 4 individuals above the age of 70. Dementia Village provides care for individuals affected by dementia of all stages. People diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, Fronto-Temporal Dementia, Vascular Dementia and other types are under the care of NIKISA Dementia Village and Alzheimer’s Hospital.
Why Dementia is going to be a very important disease of the future?
- Average life expectancy in India is set to increase from 67 years to 75 years.
- In India, 41 lakhs people, above the age of 60 have dementia.
- 1 in every 16 household with an elder has someone with dementia.
- Only 1 in 10 people with dementia are clinically diagnosed in India
- Dementia Prevalence doubles for every 6.6 years of age.
- Dementia is a progressive symptom. Initial symptoms are mild and the person becomes dependent as the symptom progresses
- In the age group of 90+, 44% have dementia.
- Most common type of dementia is called Alzheimer’s disease. This is seen in the elderly people.
- There is no cure for dementia. Only the deterioration can be slowed with proper care.
- People with Dementia are sometime locked up or isolated from the society.
- With proper care, life expectancy of people with dementia can be extended from few months to few years.